Monday, February 12, 2007

Movie vs. the book

I saw Pride and Prejudice, the one with Kiera Knightly, a few weeks ago. The novel is one of my favorite books ever. I love all of Jane Austen's novels. But that one especially held my interest and made me want to read it more than once. I think that's a novel many people feel that way about. But it is also the reason I didn't want to see the movie because I thought I would be sad if they ruined the book. However, I really liked the movie, and I figure that's because the novel is just sooo good it would be hard to ruin.
Although, they managed to ruin The Human Stain, which as a novel is easily in my top 3, I couldn't make it through the whole movie. Then again, when I read that novel I didn't really see the need to see it on screen there were so many subtleties that casting must have been hard and that is why it seemed so bad in the end.
I think I might be a book snob. But I think it's ok. And, at least thanks to Pride and Prejudice I can say there is one movie adaptation that I liked. It wasn't better than the book but it was still pretty good.

No comments: