Thursday, April 12, 2007

More real conversations

Ah, behold the language barrier.

“I want this in a book,” asked in an almost unintelligible accent while holding a box set of language tapes.
“Whatever we have out is what is in the store, so if you didn’t see a book we don’t have it, I’m sure there are things we could order for you.”
“I want a book.”
“I can take you to the section and look to see what’s in but if you didn’t see it most likely it’s ‘cause it isn’t in right now.” We walk to the section.
“I want this, but a book.”
“Ma’am, this is all we have in. These are the books for that language; however there does not seem to be a companion book for that particular tape set.”
“No, I want a book. I saw a book.”
“I can look it up to try to order it. Can I see the box?” I take the box and read the cover, where it says very clearly that this particular tape set is only tapes—no books needed. I point this out and walked away.

A Jew and Jesus

“What religion are you?”
“Excuse me?”
“Well I overheard you say that since everyone claims they can’t work on Sunday because they go to church you are going to take off Fridays and Saturdays for religious reasons.”
“Oh. I’m Jewish.”
“Why didn’t you want to say that?”
“Well sometimes people have problems with it. And I’m not really here to talk about personal things.”
“Oh, well there’s nothing wrong with being Jewish.”
“I don’t think there is, just some people could and it’s easier not to talk about it here.”
“No, no that’s so wrong. G-d loves Jews. After everything he did for you guys. He really loves you.”
“Um, thank you,” and I walk rapidly away.
But, of course I couldn’t get off that easily.
“Excuse me.”
“Yes? Do you need help?”
“No, I was wondering earlier, you looked a little funny. Did I offend you?”
“Oh, no not at all, I just don’t like talking about personal things here. We aren’t really supposed to and it tends to be easier not to.”
“Oh. Well I just wanted to make sure I didn’t bother you. Sometimes I do and I don’t mean to. I’m going to be a preacher.”
“Really, good for you.”
“Yeah, and you should know that if you ever find yourself interested in Jesus Christ, you should let yourself explore that. I have a friend who became a Jew for Jesus and his family disowned him. But really there’s nothing wrong with that.”
“Okay, thank you. I have to answer the phone. Excuse me.”

No comments: