Monday, April 16, 2007

Even more Barnes and Noble nonsense

Re-reading this I am beginning to think my working with the public is not the best idea...

I might have been the hottest retail employee ever to work for close to minimum wage.
Staring at either name tag or chest, “can I help you?”
“Oh, what? No.”
Sorry to have disturbed your ogling of my chest, please don’t let me interrupt.”

“Hi,” said the 50-something man over the magazine he was pretending to read.
“Hi, do you need help.”
“No, I’m ok. You look nice tonight.”
“Thanks.” Does anyone else get the implication that “nice tonight” means better than other nights as in I’ve been watching you? Could be me. Or it could be his slicked back, thinning child-molester hair style that just makes me uncomfortable.

“Speak of the devil.”
“Excuse me? Can I help you?” Notice that in almost any situation I ask if I can help them, it doesn’t work.
“I was looking for you,” as he comes out fully from behind a shelf, and he is being helped by a guy I work with.
“Joelle, do you know where California, earth science is?” asks my fellow employee.
“In California? We don’t have sections for other states here. What book are you looking for?”
“Well we don’t have the book he wanted but I want to show him the section.”
“And, I guess I should have done a better job in describing you, I said the cute one who helped me before.” I did not help him before.
“Ah, ok, thank you. The earth science section is over here.”
As an aside, my co-worker later informed me that the man had been asking about me and he thought I knew him. Ahh yes, cause most of my friends would have asked him, “Hey where’s that hot chick?”

No comments: