Thursday, March 15, 2007

Harry Potter Part 2

Books are such an important part of my life I had forgotten how much I miss having time to read in my focus on the chaos that I have going on right now.
I have pre-ordered the book.
I remember how much I wanted to read the fifth one before it came out. But, I watched the second movie and realized I barely remembered the details of the previous books. So, while still in Albany I re-read the first four books.
I did a full-time internship at a newspaper my final semester of undergrad, thinking, obviously that I wanted to be a journalist when I grew up, (I've changed that just a bit since graduating...). My only problem with this job was that, actually two problems, I realized I didn't like journalism, especially political journalism as every time I went to a press conference I left feeling dirty, but more on topic to this particular blog, I had to stay in Albany until the legislative session was over, a full month and a half after graduating and all of my friends moving home.
I had to move into the apartment of a co-worker I didn't particularly like. She was filthy, I spent my first few days cleaning while crying. Everyone else had gone home. I liked most of my co-workers but not enough to make them my entire social circle. I think that if, during those few weeks there, my cell phone had broken I would have lost my entire mind.
This is not to mention that my grandmother died on my graduation day.
But, here I was, few friends, no family, in Albany, my home for the past four years but different now that I am alone. My boyfriend moved home, which meant that were to be the long distance couple that ended up breaking up. It was sad.
And, now you're asking what does this have to do with Harry Potter?
Well, in that month I worked waiting for the session to end, I re-read the first four Harry Potter books, and then re-read The Hobbit and a bunch of other novels. And before I knew it the month was over and I could re-join my life. And in doing all the reading I got to escape from feeling lonely. And I think it helped that Harry Potter books create a whole new world that I could get lost in.

No comments: